Friday, October 21st, 2016
The Number Of CPA Firms In The U.S.
Many of us working in the CPA profession always seem to be interested in the various statistics about CPA firms.
I’ve been “hearing” for decades that there are about 45,000 CPA firms in the U.S. and that only a very small percentage have more than 20 CPAs.
Here are the latest numbers from an article via Accounting Today:
- There are about 42,000 accounting firms in the United States.
- The #1 firm has revenue of about $16 billion and about 65,000 people.
- Number 100 has revenues of $35m with 175 people.
- Number 300 has revenue of $8m
- Number 400 has $3m with about 20 people.
So, the next 41,600 firms fall into the “small” firm category. Most of these firms are really small, with less than four or five people and revenues less than $600,000.
Read Ed Mendlowitz’s entire article about how bright the future is going to be for these small firms.
I work with many very small firms and I can attest that they have vast opportunities!
- "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."